Welcome to my Sustainable Urban Garden

My garden is a work in progress, always growing and changing within itself.

My gardens include many herbal beds, raised vegetable beds, raised "citrus heights" citrus tree bed, berry beds, fruit trees, grape arbor, rose beds and many perennial flower beds with annuals too. My greenhouse is still in the transformation stage,
as well as some planting areas.
Enjoy your journey through my gardens, I do!

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Today was Earth Day, and . . .

Early this morning I started off with my hands in the dirt. First I had my gloves on to pull up some volunteers (like mint, blue vervain, a couple weeds). Then off went the gloves to plant a couple bell peppers. One round of watering in the veggie garden and my new fruit tree and herb bed the length of the backyard, a scattering of other watering spots and into the house I went as it started to warm-up to about 90 degrees. These last few days of summer have been a bit much for the beginning of spring here in Sacramento.

A week ago, I planted a Suncrest peach that was dug up from the foothills and donated to me. This weather has not been a friend to the peach tree. It was just too soon for this type of punishment. Many of the leaves are turning bright yellow and all the leaves feel very limp when I touch them. Tomorrow, I plan on spraying compost tea on my new peach tree. Hopefully that will help with this stress. But really, I think the cool breeze that came in tonight is going to be the saving grace in this situation.

Happy Earth Day!!! Bless this earth and all those organisms living on/above and below the earth's surface. I am loving my insects that are gracing my gardens with their activity. May we all live sustainably and in harmony.

No comments: